FPE Forums
The Chicago Cubs are in the World Series - Printable Version

+- FPE Forums (http://funnyproelites.com)
+-- Forum: Misc (http://funnyproelites.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Sports (http://funnyproelites.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: The Chicago Cubs are in the World Series (/showthread.php?tid=6292)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The Chicago Cubs are in the World Series - Rockstar - 10-23-2016

Doesn't sound like big news, right?

Well they haven't been in a World Series game in 71 years. 
And they haven't won a World Series in 108 years. 

The last time the Cubs were in the World Series, we had just dropped two atomic bombs on Japan, and they agreed to an unconditional surrender. Many major leaguers had either been drafted into the war, or enlisted voluntarily. The first World Series game was televised in 1947 - this will be the first televised Cubs World Series.

"In 1908 major league baseball was played in ten cities (eleven if you count Brooklyn, which had only been part of New York for a decade) across seven states (and DC). The St. Louis Browns and Cardinals were as far west as the leagues went, and you got there by train. Addison and Waveland was home to a seminary.

Roger Connor held the career home run record with 138; Ned Williamson's 27 remained the single-season mark. The Federal League had not yet been dreamed of; the Negro Leagues were not yet organized. The first expansion was fifty-two years away. There was no designated hitter, no save statistic, and no free agency. Every player was either white or close enough to pretend to be.

The Titanic had not yet been sunk; indeed, it had not yet been built. There was no concept of a global, or "world" war, let alone a protracted conflict which would use flying machines and poison gas as a matter of course. Russia was collapsing under Nicholas II. Turkey was controlled by the Ottomans, and a week before the Series the empire of Austria-Hungary officially took control of Sarajevo. The forty-six United States were about to replace Theodore Roosevelt with William Taft. The Brits were ruled by Edward VII. Einstein was still working on general relativity and both Pluto and penicillin were unknown to science. The airplane, the automobile, and the motion picture were all wondrous new frontiers, and the telephone was as old as the internet is today.

The Gerontology Research Group lists twenty-two known human beings living today who are confirmed to have been at least five years old in October 1908. All but one are female, five are American-born, and none lived in Illinois or Michigan. It is an effective certainty that of the approximately 6,300 people at Detroit's Bennett Park on October 14, 1908, none are still alive. The memory of the Cubs' victory, be it witnessed, read, or overheard, exists in the mind of no person. Great-great-grandparents born after that date are being buried.

The Cubs were the first team to win the World Series twice. Since then, the world has marched on and the game has rebuilt itself time and again. Of the original sixteen teams, the Cubs (and the Indians) are now tied for last among franchise championships. But they have not been left behind. They have not folded or moved; they have thrived as one of the most popular teams in the country. It is the romance of eternal struggle which brings the world to Wrigley, a struggle against the odds, against time, against the dying of the light. All people, all Americans know this struggle deep within them; it is where baseball becomes a metaphor for life. It is why we come back to this game every spring: the standings reset, the grass is fresh, and the promise of the dream stretches before us.

And every once in a while you get your chance to break through." - u/Antithesys

The last time they won, the Ford Model-T had just begun production. Women didn't have the right to vote yet. In the military, the Calvary still rode horses. The world didn't yet fathom the concept of a "Great War," let alone two of them. 1908 was the first year a ball was dropped on New Years in Times Square

Sure, they've dabbled in victory since - yet the curse has reared its ugly head. When Bartman interfered with Moises Alou in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS. The countless great seasons only to be blown in the postseason. And last year, where they went to the NLCS but were swept by the Mets. 

A lot changes in 108 years. Let's see if they can change more.

RE: The Chicago Cubs are in the World Series - Circadian - 10-23-2016

I was in a sports bar in Chicago when it happened. Mind you, I don't watch baseball at all so I had no idea what was going on. People were yelling and I saw some grown men cry. A good story to tell the grandkids I suppose?

RE: The Chicago Cubs are in the World Series - FonzieVanHelsing - 10-23-2016

cant wait for the boys from CLEVELAND to steal the world series title the cubs clearly don't deserve

RE: The Chicago Cubs are in the World Series - Billy - 10-23-2016

Cubs made it to the world series before hl3

Hopefully i wont pass out watching baseball on tv like i usually do

RE: The Chicago Cubs are in the World Series - Aaronthebaron - 10-24-2016

odds on them winning?

RE: The Chicago Cubs are in the World Series - JustServedEmpanadas - 10-24-2016

This hits home for me specifically. I personally lost my mind watching that game because I've been a Cubs fan since the day I was born. Obviously we were no good a few years ago, but I still watched their games.

Last year they were really good. But unfortunately we got swept by the Mets in Round 2. Only fair.

This year the Cubs are the powerhouse of the MLB. With a 103-58 record, they were the best team in the entire league in regular season 2016 by far. The Cubs are currently favored to win the Series, and experts project the Series will close in Game 6, whether the Cubs or the Indians win. (source)

Of course this in no way means they will win. They could certainly lose, and if they do then it was a fight well fought, and we'll be back at it next year. But we'll be here for a while.

RE: The Chicago Cubs are in the World Series - Rockstar - 10-24-2016

JSE that was your first post that wasn't shit in quite some time

The odds are posted at a 60/40 split in favor of the Cubs, and Vegas odds favor them heavily over the Indians.

RE: The Chicago Cubs are in the World Series - JustServedEmpanadas - 10-25-2016

(10-24-2016, 08:04 PM)Rockstar Wrote: JSE that was your first post that wasn't shit in quite some time

The odds are posted at a 60/40 split in favor of the Cubs, and Vegas odds favor them heavily over the Indians.

I wouldn't say my post in the Nintendo Switch thread was shit. That was actually very well thought out, go give it a read.

I think most people without personal convictions towards the Indians favor the Cubs. There's nothing wrong with rooting for the Indians, but in this case the Cubs would be a relatively safe bet, but again we haven't even seen them play Game 1 yet so it's too early to speculate how the turnout will be. If it's anything like the NCLS with the Dodgers, we'll see a promising run for the Cubs in the coming days.

RE: The Chicago Cubs are in the World Series - Rockstar - 10-25-2016

IMO it's the world against the (Native Americans)

RE: The Chicago Cubs are in the World Series - JustServedEmpanadas - 10-26-2016

Currently going ballistic in the shoutbox about me analyzing all these pitches, so I'll give the shoutbox a break and vent in here.

I will admit, CLE's Kluber is a fucking monster. He already threw a World Series record eight strikeouts in the first three innings, and this is only fucking Game 1. I'm very biased towards the Cubs obviously but I'll give credit where credit is due; the Indians are playing a great game today. The main power factor today is fucking Kluber just dismantling our offense. Currently middle of the 6th, Cubs are down 0-3. It's a safe bet we're gonna lose this one, but we'll see how these next few games turn out.

Edit: Just want to make one addition. Both the Cubs and the Indians are fucking monstrous teams with immeasurable talent. This is going to be a very interesting Series to watch.